Banana & Chia Seed BreadSeptember 7th, 2012 | Posted by in Recipes
I’m having a bit of a love affair with chia seeds at the moment. They are something I’ve only recently discovered, but aside from the fact that they are a super food, they integrate really well into cooking and baking and add a lovely flavour to the food.
So when I had some banana’s that were getting close to their best before date, and I’d been wanting to make some banana bread, chia seeds seemed like a perfect addition. I was also after a slightly healthier loaf than what most recipes offer and as I couldn’t find something online that screamed out to me, I put my own together.
You can see I also added chocolate chips to my batch, banana’s and chocolate go so well together, they are one of my favourite combinations! You can always add some of your own favourite banana accompaniments such as chopped walnuts.
This loaf is packed full of flavour and isn’t too sweet, which means it’s perfect for any time of day
1 cup mashed bananas
1/4 cup apple sauce
2 tablespoons melted butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup chia seeds
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup flax seeds
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup chocolate chips (optional)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups flour
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and well butter a loaf tin.
2. Mix chia seeds and water in a small bowl. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl add mashed bananas, apple sauce and melted butter. Stir to combine.
4. Mix in sugar, beaten egg, vanilla, cinnamon, chia seed mixture (that you set aside earlier) flax seeds and chocolate chips. Stir altogether.
5. Sprinkle baking soda over the mixture and stir.
6. Finally sift in the flour and combine all ingredients.
7. Pour into the loaf tin.
8. Bake for 50-60 minutes, until brown on top and skewer comes out clean. Leave in tin for a few minutes then cool on a wire rack.