Lemon LoafMay 30th, 2012 | Posted by in Recipes
This is fantastic as a loaf, but I reckon this would also work great as a round cake with some lemon butter cream icing.
125g softened butter
1c caster sugar
1/2c sour cream
Finely grated zest from 3 lemons
1c plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
Juice from 3 lemons
1. Preheat oven to 170 degrees and line a loaf tin with baking paper
2. Place butter and caster sugar into an electric mixer. Mix until pale and creamy
3. Beat eggs into the mixture, 1 at a time.
4. Beat in lemon zest and sour cream
5. Sift in flour and baking powder and stir by hand to combine
6. Pour into the prepared loaf tin and bake for 45-55 minutes or until a knife comes out clean. Turn onto a wire rack and cool before next step.
7. Combine 1/2c sugar, lemon juice and water into a pan.
8. Bring them to the boil then reduce the heat to a simmer for 5 minutes until it turns into a thin syrup.
9. Pour the hot syrup over the cold loaf. You may need to pour a little and wait for that to soak in, but don’t be afraid of drizzling some over the sides, and continue this until the syrup is gone.
10. Slice and eat!