Header

Golden Kiwi Fruit Jam in the Making

July 30th, 2011 | Posted by Andie in Thinking Hard

For the recipe without all the ramblings, click here

I’d been thinking about trying to make jam for a couple of weeks now, sounded like something new and different to try. I had an empty glass jar and some golden kiwifruit hanging around so decided to make some. Once Matthew was down for his sleep I got started.

As I hadn’t really thought this through too much I jumped online to find a recipe to use. I couldn’t really find one for making jam out of golden kiwifruit so I just had a general look to see what I would need and make my own recipe from that. Turns out there is this stuff called Pectin (it sounds scarier than it is, I think it sounds quite medicated) which is commonly used in jams, but as I had none I improvised and went without.

I used:
200g Golden Kiwifruit – This is significantly sweeter than normal kiwifruit
2 Limes
120g Caster Sugar

I peeled the kiwifruit, check out this video here for a quick way to do this. I then roughly chopped the kiwifruit and juiced the limes. I’ve found that for lemons and limes if you put them in the microwave for 20 seconds or so, until slightly warm, they juice much much better.

Prep-#1

I put the kiwifruit and lime juice into the saucepan and did a rough mash with a fork. Then sprinkled the sugar over and stirred in. I put the saucepan onto a very gentle heat and stirred, making sure it didn’t boil. Once the mixture had heated slightly (and sugar no longer white), I got out the hand blender and mashed the fruit very breifly making sure to leave some chunks, however could quite easily blend for longer to get a smoother jam. It was also at this point I did a taste test of the jam to make sure the flavours seemed right. They did.

Cooking-#2

Put the mixture back on the heat, still a low heat, and waited for it to boil, stirring every now and again to make sure it didn’t stick and burn to the bottom of the pan. It was at this point Matthew decided his sleep was up and wanted to get up. So I needed to let him do his own thing for a bit whilst I finished up.

Matthew-#3

The jam boiled fine, and once it started to go jell like I did a little celebration dance. This meant that it was working. Go Me! I let it jell up for a bit, testing by dropping parts of the mixture off a teaspoon. Once it was done I turned the heat off and left it to cool, but only to warm.

Almost-Done-#4

During the cooling phase I sterilized the jar by boiling in some water on the stove. There are a bunch of different ways to sterilize, google it if you need to, I did :) Apparently it’s important to put warm jam into a warm jar.
I read on one blog that you could add some food colouring to the jam. I wasn’t planning on doing this, but was curious as to what it would look like. I added a drop of yellow colouring to the one on the bottom, but personally I prefer the jam without the colouring.

Colouring-#5

I bottled the warm jam into the warm jar. The jam got thicker as it cooled, which I was hoping would happen but wasn’t sure about. I was then super excited to finally be able to try some. As it was super sweet, I didn’t need to put a lot on the bread which is saying quite a bit for me. But I’m thrilled with the result.

Final-#6

Conclusion:
Totally happy with my first attempt. I’m going to have to make more next time as there was not enough this time!


Related posts:

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 You can leave a response, or trackback.

One Response

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

CommentLuv badge