Mince and Cheese PiesMay 20th, 2011 | Posted by in Recipes
As a kiwi, mince and cheese pies are something I grew up with and what myself and many others would consider a kiwi classic. I will admit that I’m not a big pie eater in general, as compared to my husband who will easily eat a couple a week. But when I saw a recipe for homemade mince and cheese pies, the recipe sounded so good I wanted to give it a try. During cooking I added a few things which I think make it better :)
Makes approx. 4
1 TBs olive oil
1 small onion, finely diced
1 small carrot, finely diced or grated
2 cloves garlic, finely diced or crushed
2 tsp rosemary, finely diced
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp brown sugar
1 Tbs flour
2 Tbs tomato puree
1/2 cup beef stock
1/2 cup red wine
Salt and Pepper
4 slices cheese
2 Tbs milk
1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Grease 4 ramekins or individual pie tins
2. Heat a frying pan on high and add the oil.
3. Cook the onion, carrot, garlic and rosemary until golden
4. Add the mince, paprika, sugar and flour. Cook for 5 minutes until the mince is browned
5. Add the tomato puree, stock, wine and seasoning.
6. Reduce to a low heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Take off the heat and cool.
7. Cut the flaky pastry into circles just slightly larger than the top of the ramekin
8. Spoon the mince filling into the ramekins and top with a slice of cheese.
9. Add the pastry on top and seal around the edges. Whisk the egg and milk together and brush over the top.
10. Bake for 25 minutes, or until top is golden. Let cool for a minute and dig in.
*If you like the ‘full pie’ taste, add shortcrust pastry to the base before adding the filling.
*Try replacing beef mince, beef stock and red wine with chicken mince, chicken stock and white wine
*Try playing around with different herbs and spices. Add some chilli for a spicer flavour or remove the paprika for a calmer taste.